There are more than one reason as why women should take measures to keep their vagina healthy. A vagina is naturally acidic and contains high levels of beneficial bacteria that is capable of keeping infections away and maintain normal levels of pH. Low amount of secretion also takes place from the vagina that helps in keeping it clean. The process is pretty similar to the saliva which is produced in a mouth and cleanses it from within. In case there is any kind of interference in the normal functioning of the vagina can have adverse impacts and lead to infections or irritations. Hence, there are a few practices that can ensure that you have a healthy vagina and stay protected.
- Avoid douching but keep the Vaginal PH Balance protected: Douching at times interferes with the pH levels of the vagina. It henceforth reduces the acidity levels and leads to a range of bacterial infections. The normal pH levels of vagina is anywhere between 3.8 and 4.5. In a scenario there is a strong unpleasant odor from the vagina, it is advised to consult a doctor. Douche can only cover the smell but not cure the problem. Using harsh soaps or cleansers inside the vagina should also be avoided.
- Have a healthy diet:Although not directly evident, but a balanced as well as a nutritious diet coupled with plenty of fluid intake boosts up the vaginal as well as reproductive health. Several foods are known to be effective enough to treat several vaginal health problems. Yoghurt or Cranberry Juice for instance has the potential to prevent different forms of yeast infections besides aiding in its treatment. Moreover, in case a women experiences vaginal dryness, it is advised that one consults a doctor and ask if they should be eating more soy products.
- Always practice safe sex: This is a thumb rule when it comes to keeping the bacteria out. Safe sex helps in offering protection against different forms of sexually transmitted diseases which includes genital herpes, genital warts, chlamydia, gonorrhea, and even HIV. Hence, use condoms during sex as it will help in protecting you against most of the sexually transmitted diseases.
- Consult a Gynecologist: Regular consultation with a gynecologist helps in maintaining the vaginal health. It is always recommended that a women undergoes the 1stexam by the age of 21 or in the next three years after she becomes sexually active. Most of the family physicians as well as gynecologists are well-trained for diagnosing many disorders as well as diseases that have the potential of harming the vagina or the reproductive system. Gynecologists are also trained to perform Pap smears that detects the changes within the vaginal cells. It is also capable of indicating the presence of cancer.
- Adopt good hygiene practices: Common sense is what you need when it comes protecting the health of the vagina. After each bowel movement, make sure to wipe from the front to the back to keep all forms of bacterial contamination away. This practice also lowers the risk of having a bladder infection. Women should always change sanitary pads as well as tampons on a regular basis during the periods.