Are you looking about what you need to know about female condoms? There are a lot of things or facts that you should know about female condoms. A female condom is basically a pouch that is put into the vagina before having an intercourse. The use of a female condom lowers the risk of sexually transmitted diseases (STDs) and unwanted pregnancy. Female condoms are safe, effective and inexpensive methods of birth control.
How do female condoms work?
A female condom works in preventing pregnancy by layering the inner area of the vagina. These condoms collect semen and pre-ejaculate. This way the sperms are prevented from entering the birth canal, resulting in no cases of pregnancy as the sperm is unable to join the egg. These condoms also bring about a reduction in the risk of certain diseases that are transmitted sexually by covering the inner part of the anus or vagina.
(Image Credit: myhealth.alberta.ca)
Are these condoms effective?
Effectiveness is one of the most common concerns when making the choice of different methods that can help in birth control. Female condoms serve to be the most effective of all birth control methods if they are used properly. They have 95% percent chances of working successfully in the prevention of pregnancy if used in right way. This success rate drops down to 79% if the condoms are used incorrectly or inconsistently.
Are female condoms safe?
Almost everyone can use female condoms safely. In fact, these condoms can be used by all those women who are able to use tampons safely. The condoms can easily be used during vaginal or anal sex without causing any side effects that can be harmful for vaginal health or the overall health of a woman.
How to use a female condom?
For inserting the condom:
- Put lubricant or spermicide on the exterior of the closed end of the condom.
- Get into a comfortable posture for inserting the condom.
- Try squeezing the sides of the condom together and insert it into the vagina or the anus.
- Try pushing the inner ring as far as it can go within the anus or the vagina.
- Next, pull your finger out and allow the outer ring of the condom to hang about an inch outside the anus or the vagina.
For removing the condom
- Twist and squeeze the outer ring in order to keep the semen within the pouch.
- Gently pull the condom out of the anus or the vagina.
- Dispose it off and do not flush it in the toilet.
- Never reuse a condom.
The benefits of using a female condom
Some of the most important benefits fetched by female condoms are as follows:
- Allow women in sharing the responsibility of preventing infection.
- Are easy and inexpensive to obtain.
- Can easily be used by women who have an allergy to latex.
- Can conveniently be used with water-based or oil-based lubricants.
- Have no impact on natural hormones.
These are some points that work as an answer to your question what you need to know about female condoms.