Hay fever, also called as allergic rhinitis, shows the symptoms such as cold, sneezing, running nose and sinus pressure. It is an allergic response caused by air born allergic substances such as pollen, dust, mould etc. The allergy causing substance is called alleger, and it differs from person to person as to how it affects him or her. However, a person with high levels of immunity does not get affected easily.
- Running nose
- Watery eyes
- Head ache
- Clogged ears
- Blocked sinuses
- Itchiness in nose, throat, ears
- Loss of smell and taste
Seasonal hay fever triggers:
- Pollen of trees affects people in spring.
- Pollen of grass affects people in spring and summer.
- Weed pollen affects people in autumn fall.
- Spores and fungi affect people when weather is cool.
- Sometimes air pollution also causes hay fever.
Risk of hay fever is more in:
- People with a family history of hay fever.
- People suffering from allergies.
- Asthma patients.
- Observed more in young males.
- Individuals suffering from childhood infections.
- First born is always at more risk.
- Children in low income group.
Diagnosis of hay fever:
General physicians can diagnose by asking few questions which are fair enough to diagnose the fever. Some of the tests like skin or blood test to measure the presence of imunoglobin E are done. Research shows that 20% of world’s population suffers from hay fever every year. It affects the mucous membrane of sinuses, nose, throat, eyes.
Natural remedies for hay fever:
- Green tea strengthens the immune system and thus blocks production of histamine which lowers hay fever symptoms.
- Raw honey is very effective in controlling hay fever as it desensitizes the immune system to pollen.
- Chamomile tea gives a very good relief to the symptoms of hay fever.
- Peppermint tea is also a very good relief to the fever.
- Add eucalyptus oil and some turmeric powder which acts as an antibiotic to boiling water and inhale the steam which will give you a lot of relief.
- To one grape fruit boiled in a cup of water, add half a juice of lemon and one table spoon honey. Drinking this preparation for few days and it will give you an excellent result and this is a proven remedy for hay fever.
- Inhaling aroma therapy oils like eucalyptus oil, lavender oil etc in a tissue paper will also give you a lot of relief.
- By eating foods rich in omega 3 fatty acids the incidence of hay fever can be reduced.
- Taking vegetables rich in vitamin C will always help to reduce the occurrence of hay fever.
- Mix 8 ounces of water, 2 table spoons of apple cider vinegar, 3 table spoons of fresh lemon juice, 1 table spoon of raw honey and have it once a day for few days to get best results.
Butterbur is an herb which helps block histamine and gives relief from sneezing but it will suit for only some people so do contact your physician before having it.