The abnormal multiplication of cells in any part of the body is what is termed as cancer. It is the deadliest of all diseases known to mankind. Years of study and research, though have resulted in medicines that increase the life of the patient, have not yet succeeded in offering a permanent healing solution. Radiations and chemotherapies can only offer temporary solutions as they control the multiplication of cells for only the period for which the medication is effective. Besides, the expenses are huge and the medications have adverse effects on the health of the patient. Although with the recent debut of the health care reform tax credit, hopefully the expenses will be reduced. Prevention is always better than cure and here are some of the tips to avoid cancer.
- Alcoholic beverages engender many problems and it is believed that more than 60 different medical conditions are related to alcohol consumption including oesophageal, liver and breast cancers. Preventive measures including public health interventions have to be complemented with medical approaches to address alcohol problems. People who are dependent on alcohol need alcoholism intervention to reduce the burden of disease and reduce other risks associated with alcohol consumption.
- Tobacco, in all forms, should be avoided. Tobacco contains carcinogens and can cause cancer in the vital organs of the body that include the lungs, salivary glands, and gums.
- No disease shows up abruptly. In cases of mesothelioma, a form of lung cancer related to asbestos, it may take 15 to 50 years before symptoms appear. There are always symptoms that men fail to notice at the right time. Same is the matter with cancer. However, the symptoms seem like minor health issues and are therefore neglected. It is therefore important to get screened for cancer on a periodical basis. There are definite ages at which certain kinds of cancer issues occur. So, it is important to hold regular consultations with the doctor. If a person has cancerous cells, he can lead a longer life when detected in the early stages.
- One of the most important tips to avoid cancer is reducing the intake of alcohol. Consumption of alcohol must always be kept at the minimum level. Alcohol can cause cancer in the vital organs. While for men two drinks in a day should be enough, for women one drink in a day should be the limit.
- The ultraviolet rays from the sun also carry carcinogen. They are potent enough to cause skin cancer. Regular exposure to the harmful UV rays should therefore be avoided. It is better and safer to make use of sunscreen or sun block creams with SPF 30 or higher as they reflect the harmful rays without allowing them to penetrate the skin. Sunglasses and broad brimmed hats should be used.
- A life full of activity is the best and the healthiest life. It does not ask for each person to be an athlete. Exercises, dancing, walking, and all other activities, that cause perspiration, are good to be followed.
- One of the most useful tips to avoid cancer is to take medicines that are improved and tested and reduce the risk for cancer. Such medications should be taken, but not before consulting the doctor.
- Diet plays a very crucial role in causing and reducing cancer. Studies and researches reveal that foods that are plant based offer lesser risk of cancer than the non-vegetarian and fried food. It is better to minimize the consumption of red meat. Processed meats should be avoided. Sugared drinks should best be avoided.